59. Asian College of Journalism awards, 2023
In May 2023, Parth M.N. received a special mention at Asian College of Journalism awards in the social impact journalism category. He was honoured for the series of stories he did from UP on access to public health
58. Press Institute of India and International Committee of the Red Cross, 2022
In December 2022, Parth M.N . received the second prize at the awards hosted by the Press Institute of India and International Committee of the Red Cross . The PII-ICRC awards honoured the best stories on climate change in 2022.
57. Imagining the Nation State grant, 2022
In November 2020, PARI Photographer Palani Kumar received the Imagining the Nation State grant from the Chennai Photo Biennale Foundation for his socially responsible photography.
56. Martin Adler prize at the Rory Peck Awards, 2022
In November 2022, Parth M.N . was the runner up at the Martin Adler prize at the Rory Peck Awards in London. The award goes to one independent journalist in the world. And this was the second time in a row that Parth was the runner up for this award.
55. Earth Journalism Network Asia-Pacific Fellowship, 2022
On August 24 2022, Sanket Jain was awarded the Earth Journalism Network Asia-Pacific Fellowship for a three-part series on climate change and mental health in rural Maharashtra.
54. Zee Tamil’s ‘Tamizha Tamizha Award’, 2022
In June 2022, Palani Kumar received major recognition from Zee Tamil’s ‘Tamizha Tamizha Award’. These awards are presented to people whose work uplifts the pride and prestige of Tamil Nadu state and its language.
53. International Sports Press Association, 2022
On June 12, 2022 PARI Senior Fellow Sanket Jain received the International Sports Press Association's Young Reporter Special Commendation award in the writing category.
52. The Dayanita Singh-PARI Documentary Photography Award for Palani Kumar, 2022
Hasselblad Award-winning photographer Dayanita Singh has collaborated with PARI to institute the
Dayanita Singh-PARI Documentary Photography Award
51. P.V. Sukhatme Gold Medal, 2022
PARI Founder Editor P. Sainath was awarded the P. V. Sukhatme Gold Medal by the Indian Social Science Academy (ISSA) at the 45th Social Science Congress in Vandalur, Chennai, on March 28, 2022. The ISSA, in its citation, notes that PARI “serves to build bridges between the knowledge of the social sciences, the humanities and the lay public… very importantly, PARI publishes in 13 Indian languages and is free to access, without any subscription fee.”
50. Mrinalini Mukherjee Foundation grant, 2022
Sanket Jain was the recipient of a Mrinalini Mukherjee Foundation grant in March 2022 towards supporting his PARI Senior Fellowship. The Foundation was impressed by his ongoing work on rural artisans and their vanishing livelihoods. In particular, the Foundation mentioned his story on toran makers .
49. Alfred Friendly Fellowship, 2021-22
Parth M. N.
was awarded the
Alfred Friendly Fellowship
in June 2021 to visit and train in the United States from April 2022. The programme includes a three week-training at the Missouri School of Journalism, University of Missouri, Columbia. After which he will work two and a half months at the
Los Angeles Times
48. Centre for Pastoralism grant, 2022
PARI Senior Fellow and photographer
was awarded a travel grant by the Centre for Pastoralism, Bhuj, Gujarat in February 2022. This will enable him to continue his ongoing work with and on nomadic pastoralist communities in India.
47. Thakur Foundation Fellowship, 2021
was awarded a Thakur Foundation Fellowship in January 2022 to cover issues of access to healthcare and the state of civil liberties in India, for PARI.
46. Ramnath Goenka Award, 2021
Team PARI won the Ramnath Goenka Award in the Environment, Science and Technology Reporting category in December 2021. This was for PARI’s ongoing series on Climate Change through the voices and lived experience “of farmers, labourers, fishermen, forest dwellers, seaweed harvesters, nomadic pastoralists and honey tappers, among others.” The award notes that the series contains “more than 20 stories, covering the length and breadth of India” by a 14-member PARI Team who “covered forests, seas, river basins, coral islands, deserts, arid and semi-arid zones, rural and urban areas (and) made the crisis relatable to the reader.”
45. Laadli Media Award for Gender Sensitivity, 2021
Laadli Media Award
in November 2021 (given by Population First) for her story
'My kaat [uterus] keeps coming out'
, published on June 17, 2020.
44. Laadli Media Award for Gender Sensitivity, 2021
Laadli Media Award
in November 2021 for
One nation, no ration card
, published on October 20, 2020.
43. Press Institute of India-ICRC Award, 2021
won a Special Mention at the
Press Institute of India
-International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Awards in November 2021, for her story
UP panchayats: for whom the polls toll
, published on May 10, 2021. The theme of this 15th edition of the PII-ICRC awards was 'Superheroes: Battling at the Frontline in the Time of Crisis'.
42. Martin Adler Prize (Rory Peck Awards), 2021
PARI Fellow (2017)
received the runner-up award of the
Martin Adler Prize
at the Rory Peck Awards in London in November 2021. The Rory Peck Trust honours one freelancer in the world every year, and Parth’s ongoing work in PARI made the final shortlist of three journalists.
41. Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award, 2021
PARI Fellow (2017) Parth M.N. made the shortlist (for a body of work that is entirely in PARI) of 10 journalists from over 250 contenders across 55 countries for the Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award in November 2021.
40. Thakur Foundation Fellowship, 2021
was awarded a Thakur Foundation Fellowship in October 2021 to report on public health and civil liberties, and related topics, for PARI. This is an extension of the same fellowship awarded to her in August 2020.
39. PRCI's Chanakya Awards for Journalism, 2021
PARI’s Executive Editor Sharmila Joshi won the Best Story on Environment Awareness Award at the Public Relations Council of India's Chanakya Awards for Journalism in September 2021, for her story Churu: Blowing hot, blowing cold – mainly hot , published on June 2, 2020.
38. PRCI's Chanakya Awards for Journalism, 2021
PARI Senior Reporter Jaideep Hardikar won the Author/Writer of the Year Award for his book Ramrao: the story of India’s farm crisis at the Public Relations Council of India's Chanakya Awards in September 2021.
37. PRCI's Chanakya Awards for Journalism, 2021
won the Best Story on Water Management Award at the Public Relations Council of India's Chanakya Awards for Journalism in September 2021, for her story
Footprints of protest in the sands of a mine
, published on June 6, 2020.
36. The Fukuoka Grand Prize, 2021
PARI's Founder Editor
Fukuoka Grand Prize
(Japan) in September 2021 for his outstanding journalism and as the founder of PARI.
is conferred every year to honour individuals who have made contributions to the fields of Asian studies, Asian art and Asian culture.
35. Pulitzer Center grant for ‘Societal Fallouts of Covid-19’ series, 2021
PARI Fellow (2017)
Pulitzer Center grant
in September 2021 for a series of stories from the Marathwada region. The 20-part series in PARI examined the impact of the pandemic-lockdowns on some of the most marginalised sections of society.
34. Asian College of Journalism Awards, 2021
PARI series on women’s health
received a Special Mention in the Investigative Journalism category (of the Asian College of Journalism Awards, Chennai) in June 2021 for stories published in the year 2020. The award goes to
for their stories from February to November 2020.
33. Azim Premji University research grant, 2021
Aparna Karthikeyan was awarded a research grant in April 2021 by Azim Premji University. This enables her ongoing and hugely successful series in PARI since September 2021 – looking at seven groups of farmers in Tamil Nadu through the universe of their crops.
32. Bodhivruksha Award, Spoortidhamma, 2021
PARI's Founder Editor
for his journalism work and as the founder of PARI. The award is conferred every year on persons who have dedicated their lives to enabling and empowering socially excluded communities through their meaningful interventions. The award to Sainath was conferred on April 6, 2021.
31. WAN-IFRA’s South Asian Digital Media Awards, 2020
The PARI Team won the silver prize of WAN-IFRA’s South Asian Digital Media Awards, 2020. PARI bagged the Silver in the category 'Best Special Project for Covid-19' in the awards announced on December 3, 2020. Beginning from the last week of March 2020, PARI published (by the end of December 2021) nearly 200 landmark stories (besides numerous reports in the PARI Library ) related to impact of the lockdown on the livelihoods and daily lives of the most marginalised segments of India. Read more
30. Thakur Foundation Fellowship, August 2020
Kavitha Muralidharan was awarded a Thakur Foundation Fellowship in August 2020 to produce high quality content and reports on Public Health and Civil Liberties and related topics for PARI.
29. Press Institute of India-ICRC Award, 2020
PARI Reporter Jigyasa Mishra won a Press Institute of India -International Committee of the Red Cross Award for her story Footprints of protest in the sands of a mine , published on June 6, 2020, in the category Best Article on a Humanitarian Subject. Read more
28. Laadli Media Award for Gender Sensitivity, 2020
PARI Reporter Jyoti Shinoli won a Laadli Media Award for Gender Sensitivity (given by Population First, Mumbai), 2020, for her story No crime, unending punishment , published on August 10, 2018. Read more
Ananda Vikatan - Top Ten Humans of 2019
PARI Photographer Palani Kumar was recognised as one of the Top Ten Humans of 2019 by leading Tamil publication Ananda Vikatan in January 2020 for his body of work, particularly that visibilising the work of manual scavengers in an otherwise desensitised world.
27. Prem Bhatia Award for Journalism, 2020
The PARI Team won the Prem Bhatia Award for Journalism on Environment and Development Issues (given by the Prem Bhatia Memorial Trust, New Delhi) “for its extensive field reports, including climate change effects and the impact of the pandemic on rural India.” Read more
26. PRCI's Chanakya Awards for Journalism, 2020
PARI Fellow (2019) M. Palani Kumar won the Public Relations Council of India's Communicator of the Year: Best Story of the Year Award for Tamil Nadu’s seaweed harvesters in rough seas , published on October 31, 2019.
25. PRCI's Chanakya Awards for Journalism, 2020
PARI Reporter Jyoti Shinoli won the Public Relations Council of India's Communicator of the Year: Best Content of the Year Award for her story Pardhi school bull-dozed by Prosperity Highway , published on June 17, 2019.
24. Press Institute of India-ICRC Award, 2019
PARI Fellow (2016) Urvashi Sarkar won the first prize in the Best Article category for her article ‘Our houses are vanishing. Nobody cares’ , published on July 20, 2018.
23. Jio MAMI Mumbai Film Festival, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Yashaswini Raghunandan’s film That Cloud Never Left was selected for the India Gold category at the Jio MAMI Mumbai Film Festival in October 2019.
22. FILAF Film Festival, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Yashaswini Raghunandan won the Gold Filaf at the Festival International du Livre d'Art et du Film (FILAF Film Festival) in France in 2019 for her film That Cloud Never Left.
21. Tutti I Premi Del Pesaro Film Fest, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Yashaswini Raghunandan received a Special Mention for her film That Cloud Never Left at the Tutti i Premi Del Pesaro Film Fest 2019 , Italy.
20. Best Experimental Documentary Film Award, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Yashaswini Raghunandan’s film
That Cloud Never Left
won the award for
Best Experimental Documentary Film
at the Sharjah Film Platform in December 2019.
19. Kasseler Dok Film Festival, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Yashaswini Raghunandan’s film
That Cloud Never Left
was awarded a Special Mention at the Kasseler Dok Film Festival in Kassel, Germany, in November 2019.
18. International Film Festival Rotterdam, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Yashaswini Raghunandan’s film That Cloud Never Left was premiered at the prestigious International Film Festival Rotterdam (in The Netherlands) in January 2019.
17. Red Ink Award, 2019
PARI Reporter Jyoti Shinoli won the Red Ink Award (given by the Mumbai Press Club) in the Women’s Empowerment and Gender Equality category for her story Collecting 6,000 leaves a day for a living , published on May 3, 2018.
16. Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award, 2019
PARI Fellow (2017) Parth M. N. won the Indian Express Group's Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award (in the Uncovering India Invisible category) for his series of stories from Marathwada .
15. The Statesman Prize for Rural Reporting, 2018
PARI Author Puja Awasthi won the Statesman Prize for Rural Reporting for two stories published in PARI on July 5 and August 3, 2017: Beaten but unbowed – Sunanda Sahoo's silent struggle and Drums and dreams beyond pickle and papad
14. Laadli Media Award for Gender Sensitivity, 2018
PARI Fellow (2016)
Laadli Media Award
(given by Population First), 2018, in the Features category for her story
Widowed by tigers, abandoned by the state
, published on October 12, 2017.
13. Lorenzo Natali Media Prize, 2018
PARI Fellow (2017) Parth M. N. received the Lorenzo Natali Media Priz e (given by the European Commission) for his story Cutting cane for 2000 hours , published on February 6, 2018.
12. South Asian Short Film Festival, Kolkata, 2018
Fifteen PARI videos/ films were selected for SASFF-2018: 13 films in the Competition: Documentary section and 2 in the Official Panorama Viewing category. ( See the full list of these videos and films at the end of this page, as well as the list of five PARI films/videos selected in the 2019 Competition: Documentary section of SASFF . )
10. Justice M. G. Ranade Award, 2018
The first Justice M. G. Ranade Award (inaugural year, given by the Justice M.G. Ranade Award Vasant Vyakhyanmala), went to P. Sainath , recognising the unique nature of the new journalism “initiative called the People’s Archive of Rural India .”
9. Basavashree Award, 2017
(Sri Muruga Matha, Chitradurga, Karnataka) went to
for “service rendered through the
People’s Archive of Rural India
to the rural folk in the way of a Journalism Movement.”
The award was returned to Sri Muruga Matha on September 2, 2022.
8. Appan Menon Memorial Award, 2017
The Appan Menon Memorial Award (given by the Appan Menon Memorial Trust, New Delhi) for “the work being done by the People’s Archive of Rural India to document life in rural India.”
7. C-Shell Media and Literary Awards, 2017
The C-Shell Journalism Prize 2017 (Dubai) for “extraordinary and in-depth reporting of rural India and the unique achievement that is PARI .”
6. Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak Award for Excellence in Journalism, 2017
The Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak Award for Excellence in Journalism (given by the Kesari Mahratta Trust and Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune) to PARI's Founder Editor P. Sainath, recognising his launch of PARI .
5. Anant Bhalerao Smruti Puraskar, 2016
The Anant Bhalerao Smruti Puraskar (given by the Anant Bhalerao Smruti Foundation, Aurangabad) went to P. Sainath for “incisive reporting of rural India, the People’s Archive of Rural India and its approach to boosting journalism in Indian languages.”
4. Krantisinh Nana Patil Memorial Award, 2016
The Krantisinh Nana Patil Memorial Award (given by the Krantisinh Nana Patil Foundation, Sangli, Maharashtra) to PARI's Founder Editor P. Sainath (recognising, also, the importance of PARI ).
3. National Film Awards, Government of India, 2016
PARI Fellows (2015)
Nidhi Kamath and Keya Vaswani
(Rajat Kamal) for the Best Promotional Film at the 63rd National Film Awards, 2016, for their film
Weaves of Maheshwar
, published in PARI on May 2, 2016.
2. Praful Bidwai Memorial Prize, 2016
The first Praful Bidwai Memorial Prize (given by the Praful Bidwai Memorial Committee, New Delhi) to PARI and Founder Editor P. Sainath for “his reportage and commentary on agrarian distress and the source of information and inspiration that is PARI.” Read more
1. Laadli Media Award for Gender Sensitivity, 2015
PARI Fellow (2015) Purusottam Thakur received the Laadli Media Award 2014-15 (given by Population First, Mumbai) in the Best Investigative Story category for the story Making history, heading for a hundred , published on March 20, 2015.
Special Mention : In April 2020, the United States Library of Congress informed us that they had selected the PARI website for inclusion in their web archives: "We consider your website to be an important part of this collection and the historical record."
South Asian Short Film Festival, March 2019: List of PARI videos/films
1. Sinchita Maji/
Ganpati Yadav's Gripping Life Cycle
/ India/ Marathi/ 17M
2. Ankan Roy & Others / Possessed by His Art, a Bahurupi Transforms / India/ Bengali /05M
3. Vishaka George & Others / I Feel So Happy to See the Paddy Growing / India/ Malayalam/05M
4. Anubha Bhonsle & Others / Into The Chakshangs Of Imphal / India/ Manipuri, Meitei/05M
5. Subuhi Jiwani/ Farming Doesn't Give Us Our Sustenance / India/ Hindi/04M
South Asian Short Film Festival, March 2018: List of PARI videos/films
1. Archana Phadke/
Captain Elder Brother’ and the Whirlwind Army
/ India/ Marathi/ 06M
2. Shreya Katyayini/ Tussar: The Crumbling Cocoon / India/ Hindi/ 12M
3. Sinchita Maji/ Heavy Lifting in the Hills / India/ Marathi/ 09M
4. Sayantoni Palchoudhuri/ Jahangir's Story / India/ Hindi/ 08M
5. Sayantoni Palchoudhuri/ Vote for Boat / India/ Hindi/ 08M
6. Stanzin Saldon/ The Loom is My Love, My Legacy / India/ Ladakhi/ 09M
7. Sinchita Maji/ Basudeb Baul / India/ Bengali/ 12M
8. Ankan Roy/ Bahurupi: A Family of Many Faces / India/ Bengali/ 10M
9. Shreya Katyayini/ When the Queen Strikes / India/ Hindi/ 15M
10. Anubha Bhonsle & Others/ Ima Keithel: Every Day is Women’s Day / India/ Manipuri/ 15M
11. Aparna Karthikeyan/ The Dance of the False Legged Horse / India/ Tamil/ 18M
12. V. Sasikumar/ Mending Boats with Music / India/ Malayalam/ 15M
13. Purusottam Thakur/ The Fading Weaves of Duajhar / India/ Odiya/ 16M
Official Selection: Panorama – Documentary
14. Sinchita Maji/
Threadbare in Santipur
/ India/ Bengali/ 13M
15. Sinchita Maji/ Dhol on Wheels / India/ Bengali/ 06M